Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Synth Classics No1 - Detuned Double Saw Wave

This is something I'll try and post up more frequently. Synth Classics. Want to create those classic sounds? The super squelchy acid bass? The popcorn "plonk"? Well I'll post up a short description on how to create simple but effective synth patches - sounds that you probably have heard a thousand times.

No.1 - Detuned Double Saw Wave.

Take a basic initial patch. Set two oscillators to saw waves. Detune one -4 cents. Detune the other +4 cents. And viola!
Adjust the amp and filter envelopes to the desired effect.
I prefer a slightly slower attack on the filter envelope and a fairly sharp decay on both.
Keep the detuned level at + and - 4 cents to keep it punchy. Any less sounds like the oscillators are just out of phase, any more sounds a bit too 90s for my tastes.

But as ever it's all up to you.

More soon
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment